Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day Three

A funny thing happens when the mister goes away. Suddenly I get overtaken with this urge to clean. And I don't mean just washing the dishes, either... it's like everything around me needs to be tidied and reorganized. Yesterday I did our bedroom, the girl's rooms and the playroom - tidying, vacuuming, throwing away stuff. Today I have a smaller goal of just cleaning the bathroom and the upstairs hall floor, because we're going to be out for part of the day.

Just for a few minutes I wondered about this, because it's not just me. It seems to be a nearly-universal thing among the wives I know - as soon as he leaves town, the house must be cleaned. It's compulsive. I wonder if it is, as people say, just a need to keep busy... or whether there's actually something a little deeper at work. Like a need for control. Life as we know it just got turned on its head, but by jove there is something we can do, and that is to clean and organize and put things just so all around us. I'm thinking that is in there, albeit in a sort of unconscious way. Of course, "keeping busy" is a part of it, too. Not to mention that it's just a really good opportunity to do things in your own way and not worry about stepping on anyone else's toes in the process. But I don't think we're all that simple. ;)

Day Three today. And so far, so good. We've had a few "I miss Daddy" moments and the occasional "What if he doesn't come home?" - have I mentioned that Miss is a bit melodramatic from time to time?

No comments:

Post a Comment