Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day Six.

I am soooooo tired. Not because it was a bad day, though - just because it was a full day.

This morning we hit the road early (as in, before 7:00) to scope out the residential areas of the base for cast-offs. This weekend is the annual "big stuff round up" event, and we were enthusiastic participants in the "curb-side shopping" aspect of it. I've never heard it called that before, but it's much more pleasant than "scavenging." LOL We scored big, too, bringing home a dresser, a coffee table and matching end table, a swingset, a bicycle trailer, a box of megablocks, and a treadmill. The treadmill turned out to be a dud, though, so it's out on my curb now. It works, but it's annoying, so I know I won't use it.

Then we were off to a friend's house to visit her yard sale/bbq and let the kids play together. I brought home some cute clothes and a puzzle for A, and C bought an Ariel baby doll, and we tried Bannock bread which was quite good and made for really good hamburgers :) After that, back to the base to do another drive around looking for goodies, a quick visit to another friend, and then off to a fundraiser yardsale at a nearby school where I LOADED up on books for 10 cents each. Love it. I put the swingset together (a tad challenging while alone), did some tidying up, made supper... and now I am sooooo zonked and I don't know if I'll even get the dishes done. A shower will take about all I've got left, I think.

However, the day ended really well when I got that much-needed and highly-anticipated first phone call from abroad. :) Mucho happy. Emails are great, but voice contact is better. We're hoping he'll have internet access set up in the next week or so, and then he won't be dependent on the "welfare computers" with their slow connection and limited access. THEN, we can get on video chat, which Cara really enjoys. :) He's adjusting... settling in... getting acclimatized slowly. My weather forecast said he was experiencing 42 degrees yesterday, but he corrected that and said it was in fact 49 in the shade. They even have guidelines on how to cope with working in the heat. No, thanks.... You know, I think I'll stay quite content with the temperatures back here in O Canada, thanks just the same. And I will probably think twice before complaining about the heat when it hits a mere 30 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment