Monday, September 27, 2010

Happy Birthday!

Perhaps there is some measure of overcompensation in the world of a deployed parent. Today's birthday party would almost seem to say so... I don't think I've put quite this amount of effort into any birthday party to date. Of course, I also had more time on my hands this time around, and two kids eager to pitch in, so maybe that's all it was. Either way, A's third birthday party was a hit all around.

A few highlights:

Making frames for their royal portraits (which we took later)

Making princess crowns (LOVE Dollarama for craft supplies!!)

One game - pin the star on the fairy's wand

Another game - "Dancing Slippers" (a la musical chairs but using printouts of pink glass slippers) Anika looked at me at one point, quite appalled, and said, "But Mom, there's not enough slippers!!!" Not much escapes this one. LOL

Snacks, of course!  Butterfly- and flower-shaped cookies, pink heart-shaped Rice Krispies treats, grapes, veggies, heart-shaped Nutella sandwiches and apple juice. I think we covered all the major food groups....

Decorating cupcakes - this was the birthday cake

Everyone got a candle to blow out, but the birthday girl's was a fancy sparkly one shaped like a three.


And finally, a royal parade around the block to let off some steam and make a lot of noise with party blowers.



Recipes:


Pink Confetti Cupcakes

But obviously left out the cranberries and almonds, and I used vanilla instead of lemon. Then I added a bit of red food coloring to make them pink, and about half a jar of the tiny round rainbow sprinkles.

I frosted them with canned frosting that I tinted pink, because it went on sale a few weeks ago for 99 cents a can, and I can't make it that cheaply!!!


Painted Sugar Cookies

I used the cookie recipe from here:

Incorporating suggestions from the visitor comments - doubling the vanilla, using three cups of sugar instead of two, and baking on parchment paper. Do pay close attention, they bake up fast (about 7 minutes). And refridgerating for an hour is a must. I cut them about 1/2 inch thick.

And for the "paint"? Mix together 2 tbsp. milk and 2 tbsp. corn syrup until smooth. Add in 2 cups icing sugar gradually and mix until smooth. If it is too thick add a bit more corn syrup, too thin add more sugar. Stir in food coloring, a few drops at a time, until you reach your desired color(s).

Give cookies, paint and clean brushes to enthusastic kids. Add sprinkles liberally.

Display artfully ;) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment