Monday, June 23, 2008

June 23, 2008

To Adapt:

to make suitable to requirements or conditions; adjust or modify fittingly
to adjust oneself to different conditions, environment, etc
to make suitable to or fit for a specific use or situation.

To Conform:

to act in accordance or harmony; comply
to act in accord with the prevailing standards, attitudes, practices, etc., of society or a group
to be or become similar in form, nature, or character.
to be in harmony or accord.
to make similar in form, nature, or character.
to bring into agreement, correspondence, or harmony.


Romans 12:1-2 Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Ezekiel 11:12 And you will know that I am the LORD, for you have not followed my decrees or kept my laws but have conformed to the standards of the nations around you."

James 4:4 You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God?

John 17:15-16 "I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world”


Lately I've been thinking. (Big surprise, huh) And I've talked to people. Christian people. And in the process I've realized that as a whole, we're becoming pretty invisible in the world. Instead of adapting to the world and figuring out how to live in it, I think, sadly, most of us have conformed. We might go to church, we might even get the Bible out once in a while, but what is there about us that makes us different? Is there anything that makes us stand out? If you pass me on the street, is there anything about me that would make you say - hey, she's different. Is there anything that would make you want to ask me what it is that gives me that "something different"?

Paul told us not to give offense, and to become "all things to all people" in order to win them. That tells me pretty clearly that I'm not supposed to stand on a street corner with a sign that says "You're Going to Hell" and beating people with a Bible. ;)

But we are, I am, supposed to stand out. Not offensively, not judgmentally, but with the aim to lovingly inspire people. To make them want to know what it is that makes me different. WHY am I joyful (am I?) - WHY am I content (am I?) - WHY do the trials of life not overwhelm me (do they?)

1 Peter 3:15 Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.


A closing thought:

Matthew 5:13 You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.

No comments:

Post a Comment