Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"But what about socialization?"

The most common question I get asked when I tell people we're going to homeschool is "but what about socialization?" Well, actually the first thing most people say is something like, "Wow, I couldn't do that, I like having time to myself". LOL

But it does seem to be something that worries a lot of people. Thinking that because my kids will miss out on the public school environment, that somehow they willl miss out on a crucial part of their development.

Personally, I don't think so.

First, let's address the most practical point. The fear is that by not being placed in a class of similar-aged peers, that homeschooled kids miss out on something. I would like to propose that it is in fact that classroom setting which is the artificial environment. In a homeschool setting, kids are continually interacting with people of all ages - parents, younger/older siblings, family friends, extended family, people at the store, etc - and learn how to relate to all of these people. In contrast, the school setting puts them together with 20-30 children of the same age, and one or two adults. While it works for some kids (I survived relatively unscathed), I don't believe it is the best option.

Then there is the whole matter of whether kids actually DO get "socialized" in school. I don't personally believe that there are many positive lessons for one five year old to teach another. Perhaps even less so for ten year olds. When kids are put together in a large group setting, it's not what I would consider an environment where mutual benefit and edification is a high priority. Kids naturally tend more toward the "me, my, mine" attitude, and the "greater good" is not something given much consideration. I believe that kids stand a better chance of learning the lessons necessary for becoming considerate, helpful and contributing members of society if they are actually trained within society (to some extent).

Then, finally, there is the not-so-simple matter of personal beliefs. I do not want my children to be taught from a humanist, evolutionist, anti-God viewpoint. Of course I want my children to learn the lessons they will need to succeed in this world. But I want them to understand that evolution is a THEORY, and that no, we do not believe that they developed from pond scum and monkeys, but that some people don't believe in God so they had to come up with another story to explain where we came from. I want them to learn about the great heroes of the past without the stories being edited for political correctness. I want them to be free to move at their own pace of learning and not be left behind or dragged down to the average within a class of thirty. I could go on, but you get my point.

I don't want them growing up feeling like they are just another cog in the system, that their responsibility is just to learn, to get a job, to work, and to pay taxes. I don't want them surrounded by the defeatist mentality that many of our generation suffer from. Instead, I want them to be inspired, to be creative, to discover their interests and be free to pursue them, and to fully develop their own little personalities.

I want them to learn to live in this world, but in no way do I want them to become a part of it. We're not going to be here forever, and there are more important things they need to learn than stories about pond scum and how to be 'PC'.

No comments:

Post a Comment